[Bloat] RED against bufferbloat

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Feb 26 05:39:06 EST 2015

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015, MUSCARIELLO Luca IMT/OLN wrote:

> I wonder when we'll have software routers in residential networks to
> innovate a little faster than what happens today just like how already
> happens in some data centers.

Well, it would help if operators tried to buy CPEs taht were not only
bare-minimum for what they need today.

Right now I hear more about "virtualised CPE" to save cost (ie move part
of the CPE implementation to the data center) than to spend more money on
features in the CPE.

My hope is still on the mobile phone SoCs trickling down to the home
gateway space so we get more CPU power there at decent price point.

Also possibly that the whole SDN movement means hardware will get
standardized APIs so in case there is hardware acceleration on the CPE,
this can be handled by any kernel and not just the kernel that the vendor
has modified to work with their special hardware.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se