[Bloat] RED against bufferbloat

Sebastian Moeller moeller0 at gmx.de
Thu Feb 26 05:59:17 EST 2015

On Feb 26, 2015, at 11:44 , Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2015, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>
>> Erm, how does that work? What part of the functionality can reasonably be moved to the data center? The configuration web interface?
>
> Basically you extend the home L2 domain via some kind of tunnel or vlan to a server, and run the CPE there.

	We would need a new extension for CPE, for sure, "customer premise” will no longer describe it well. Also egress shaping will need to stay at the customers end of the bottleneck link (or better all uplinks increased to either 10, 100 or 1000 Mbps so that ethernet link speeds can be used to avoid the link to become the bottleneck). Also the typical switch and AP will be somewhat hard to virtualize… And then we basically need the same hardware at the customer end as we have right now, simply for the modem switch and AP parts...

Best Regards

> The only thing left in the home is basically L2 bridging between WAN, LAN and Wifi and the possibiliy of configuring settings such as Wifi SSID, crypto etc.
>
> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos14.1/topics/concept/ccpe-overview.html

	… Deep Inspection/Monitoring (lovely, I am not sure whether Juniper actually want to market to ISPs or the NSA here)

> http://blogs.cisco.com/sp/home-gateway-cpe-virtualization

	• Security and firewall features
	• Parental control services:

I could be wrong, but I fail to see the business case for an ISP to switch from traditional CPE to basically traditional CPE plus “virtual CPE” in the data center (to badly  paraphrase J. Zawinski “now you have two problems");