[Bloat] Packet loss in FCC press release

Matt Mathis mattmathis at google.com
Fri Feb 27 14:47:26 EST 2015

You are failing to make a distinction between the edges (access) and the
core (ISP's backbone and interconnects).

At the edges, where multiplexing is relatively low and queueing is
required, loss or ECN is necessary to regulate queue occupancy.

In the core, where traffic is highly aggregated and queues are generally
tiny, (excess) loss indicates insufficient capacity, and that some users
are suffering due to other people's traffic.   In the core losses (or
queueing) are nearly always a bad thing.

This one sentence is sufficient to solve much of the net neutrality problem.

See: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-03

Thanks,
--MM--
The best way to predict the future is to create it.  - Alan Kay

Privacy matters!  We know from recent events that people are using our
services to speak in defiance of unjust governments.   We treat privacy and
security as matters of life and death, because for some users, they are.