[Bloat] RED against bufferbloat

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 13:03:50 EST 2015

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 9:28 AM, Bob Briscoe <bob.briscoe at bt.com> wrote:
> Alex,
>
> At 09:31 25/02/2015, Alex Elsayed wrote:
>>
>> It was less a criticism of your work itself, and more pointing out that
>> Bob
>> Briscoe was applying research on symmetric paths to asymmetric paths
>> without
>> questioning the applicability of its conclusions.
>

> Mea culpa.
> Just one ambiguous inference and the whole list explodes!
>
> When I said "The paper convinced me that ARED is good enough (in the paper's
> simulations it was often better than PIE or CoDel),"
>
> I didn't mean 'good enough to go ahead and deploy'. Don't worry we're
> testing out ARED. I meant good enough to make it the centre of my attention.
> (I did say "consider deploying" later in the sentence).
>
> Our ARED testing is focusing on whether there are any pathologies, rather
> than whether it is slightly better or worse than the perfect solution X that
> will takes a decade to make any difference to the majority.
>
> It's interesting that no-one picked up on the sentence "This could reduce
> deployment completion time from decades to a few months."
> I take that as a symptom that the bufferbloat list is mainly populated by
> implementers. If there's a nail that can't be hit with the implementation
> hammer, it seems it's not an interesting nail, even if it's an extremely
> important nail.

I have ALWAYS said that if you can figure out how to deploy a red
based solution, do so,
and PLEASE share you you do it. Yes, if tools were generally available
to get it right, for those that do have RED, you can fix the problem
in months...

That said, all the new high end 802.11ac home routers have way better
qos systems, (though two I have tested recently were very buggy)
and it is all over openwrt and derivatives, in all of linux, all over
the world, and the only real problem remaining to fix it on CPE is to
get rate management into more hardware offload engines. Which is
happening. Sure, I would like to see the CMTSes and BRASes fixed so
customers did not have to do it themselves and more default-as-shipped
cpe the isp do the right things - but enormous progress has been made.

It is time to go fix wifi, IMHO, and let the market sort out the ISP edge.

> Bob

Let's make wifi fast, less jittery and reliable again!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/TVX3o84jjmb