[Bloat] Graph of bloat

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 11:55:41 EDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 3:23 AM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
> I was monitoring Google's time servers over the recent leap second.  That
> graph happened to include some good examples of bloat.
>
> http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/bloat/google-off-smear-bloat.png
>
> I have a slow DSL line with almost 4 seconds of buffering.
>
> The blobs at -20 and -15 seconds are typical of a single large download.  The
> column at -6 seconds is typical of several active connections.

That is a very interesting graph! Does ntp adjust system time backward
based on getting nearly all it's samples with well over a 1/2 second
of induced delay?

Interestingly (or disturbingly) - dnsmasq just found and fixed a crash
bug that happened when time ran backwards. I can imagine a few other
core utilities/protocols/system services that should be checked for
bad behavior in this case.

http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2015q3/009701.html