[Bloat] [iccrg] ECN issues

Scheffenegger, Richard rs at netapp.com
Sun Jul 19 04:21:12 EDT 2015

Hi Ingemar,

I was to make that very same point; from my earlier collaboration with Mirja and Brians efforts, I think the prevalence of gear that still uses a notion of a TOS byte, and rewrites it for a L4 flow is actually higher than ECN impacting connection set up etc.

So, on some paths you may believe you negotiate ECN, but one half-link may bleach the IP-header ECN bits.

Again, this is detectable for the receiver (currently, no mechanism to convey this info back to a TCP sender), and affected sessions would revert back to loss-based CC.

Such ECN-unresponsive, loss-responsive flows may pose an issue to AQMs that do some differentiated handling of ECN vs non-ECN packets though...

Best regards,
  Richard