[Bloat] Speed tests - attribution of latency to relevant network hops

Bill Ver Steeg (versteb) versteb at cisco.com
Thu Jul 30 09:04:08 EDT 2015

You do have to be careful using ttl tricks and/or ICMP packets for fine-grained timing measurements. On many middleboxes, there is a "fast path" that is done in a highly optimized manner (often in silicon) and a "slow path". In a non-zero number of cases, you will be in the fast path for normal packets and in the slow path for unusual packets.

What you describe will work for the vast majority of cases, but there will be situations in which you will get misleading results. You would need to handle the timing differences when the slow path was MUCH slower than the fast path and it distorted the results. You would also have to handle some weird edge conditions..... The worst case that springs to mind would be a bloated buffer somewhere in a device's fast path (due to lots of "normal" packets), but the slow path on the same device is not congested and thus actually has less delay for this single packet.

Bvs