[Bloat] Bloat goes away, but with ~25% speed loss?

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Fri Jun 5 13:20:14 EDT 2015

On 05/06/2015 17:19, Dave Taht wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 7:33 AM, Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant
> <kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On 04/06/15 21:01, Jonathan Morton wrote:
>>
>> A useful exercise might be to log the idle latency over a long period of
>> time, and correlate it to peak load periods, as A&A do.
>> http://aa.net.uk/kb-broadband-cqm.html .
>>
>> Minor claim to 'infamy'.  The line graph shown on that page is my ADSL line
>> from 4ish years ago :-)  I was having a hell of a time trying to convince BT
>> to solve the packet loss issue caused by a faulty PSU in a satellite
>> receiver (one whole street away and affecting a LOT of people)  Andrews &
>> Arnold (ISP) were the only people capable of hitting BT with a sufficiently
>> large cluebat.
> A&A struck me as an extremely clueful ISP (I think they have had ipv6
> /48s for forever?)
> and it has been my impression that folk like that were using things
> like HFSC + SFQ already
> in their "rate limiters", and had experimented also with fq_codel by now.

Adrian Kennard the owner writes code for their ISP grade routers etc (Firebricks).  Very clever chap.  And yes very early adopters and promoters of IPv6.  No idea what qdiscs etc they've experimented with.  I'll try to ask.  Would be interesting to get fq_codel or even cake into the ISP side of things!