[Bloat] ADSL, ATM drivers, bloat, education & confusion

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Sun Jun 7 09:29:30 EDT 2015

On 06/06/15 19:14, Sebastian Moeller wrote:
>> Apparenly it's under my control but I'm fighting my own lack of abilities, trying to sprint a marathon before I can even crawl.  Looking at kernel sources when I can barely get 'hello world' to compile & run is asking for trouble :-)  About a day ago I didn't know what an SKB was. https://www.coverfire.com/articles/queueing-in-the-linux-network-stack/ has been a revelation.
> 	This sounds like you embark on fixing the del driver in your modem; more power to you then.
I thank you for your wishes.  The reality is that I don't have a clue :-(  I'm looking at package/kernel/lantiq/ltq-atm/src/ltq_atm.c and seeing stuff that looks like allocating buffers, setting 'mailboxes' (I'm guessing a semaphore type mechanism to tell firmware/hardware that there's a buffer waiting and it would be ever so nice if you could put it on the wire please) but I now doubt that the 'simple 7 lines or so' related to "netdev_tx_sent_queue" and friends are really as simple as that.

I suspect ADSL will be a forgotten technology by the time I understand 'C' and Linux kernels well enough to have a chance :-)