[Bloat] [Cake] active sensing queue management

David Lang david at lang.hm
Thu Jun 11 21:49:16 EDT 2015

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015, Daniel Havey wrote:

> We know that (see Kathy and Van's paper) that AQM algorithms only work
> when they are placed at the slowest queue.  However, the AQM is placed
> at the queue that is capable of providing 8 Mbps and this is not the
> slowest queue.  The AQM algorithm will not work in these conditions.

so the answer is that you don't deploy the AQM algorithm only at the perimeter,
you deploy it much more widely.

Eventually you get to core devices that have multiple routes they can use to get
to a destination. Those devices should notice that one route is getting
congested and start sending the packets through alternate paths.

Now, if the problem is that the aggregate of inbound packets to your downstreams
where you are the only path becomes higher than the available downstream
bandwidth, you need to be running an AQM to handle things.

David Lang