[Bloat] Bloat done correctly?

Benjamin Cronce bcronce at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 00:45:15 EDT 2015

This is my first time using a mailing list, so I apologize if I break any
etiquettes.

Here is my situation.
I have 100/100 via GPON, the ISP claims "dedicated" bandwidth defined as
the port is not oversubscribed.
I was told their core network can handle all customers at 100% of their
provisioned speeds, but their
trunk would go down in a spectacular blaze. I was also told their trunk
consists of 6 links to Level 3
and they could handle 5 of those links going down without congestion
occurring on the trunk during peak hours.
The GPON head unit aggregates directly into the core router, router is some
flashy new Cisco
that supports "a lot of 10Gb and 100Gb ports". I have a 1ms hop to my ISP,
then a 9ms hop to Level 3.

The reason I mentioned this is it may be useful when interpreting these
results that the only likely point
of congestion is my 100Mb connection.

DSLReports Jitter test
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/HxTrRZob4RNU9OdmdRoxS5Ig0xf-9qwZhFwh67uyVPg=w389-h540-no

On to bufferbloat.

Bypass firewall(PFSense) - no AQM/QoS on my part

32/16
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/624054

24/12
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/624060

Single Stream restriction
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/624065

Through the firewall. No other traffic, so HFSC does not matter
80/443/8080 go into the same queue and uses just regular CoDel.
DSLReports uses a "web ping", so the ping goes through the same queue as
the speedtest
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/624075

Under load while doing P2P(About 80Mb down and 20Mb up just as I started
the test)
HFSC: P2P in 20% queue and 80/443/8080 in 40% queue with ACKs going to a
20% realtime queue
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/622452

Here you can see my quality graph spiked during the tests when I was
outside the firewall.
Because I bypassed the firewall and was no longer being traffic shaped, I
was able to overload the connection.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/V4mpd_EMNXCIpdjMGQKbgrYjT_Kts9iIuFR5PnH_5Po=w760-h420-no

To me it seems like bufferbloat is mostly handled. I did send them some
emails to see if I could get a response
on what they use, but no luck.