[Bloat] Apple ECN, Bufferbloat, CoDel

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sat Jun 13 12:07:57 EDT 2015

I highly encourage people to take a look at:

https://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2015/?id=719 (you might have to
reigster as an apple developer to watch it, I don't know)

"Your App and Next Generation Networks
IPv6 is growing exponentially and carriers worldwide are moving to pure
IPv6 APNs. Learn about new tools to test your apps for compatibility and
get expert advice on making sure your apps work in all network
environments. iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 now support the latest TCP standards.
Hear from the experts on TCP Fast Open and Explicit Congestion
Notification, and find out how it benefits your apps."

Being on this list you might not learn much from the talk, but I really
appreciate a talk aimed at a wider (developer) audience which so clearly
outlines the benefits of ECN, CoDel and TCP host opimization to reduce
end-to-end experienced application communication latency. One of the major
takeaways is that Apple is planning to by default enable ECN in iOS9 and
OSX 10.11. This would mean hundreds of millions of devices will be using
ECN in a few months.

You can skip to 16 minutes into the talk if you're not interested in the
new requirement for applications to support an environment where it's
Internet access is IPv6 only behind NAT64+DNS64 (I'm myself super excited
about this).

Let's hope this brings a lot of buzz and requests towards device
manufacturers to start supporting ECN marking and AQM. Apple is usually a
good megaphone to bring attention to these kinds of issues...

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se