[Bloat] Apple ECN, Bufferbloat, CoDel

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Jun 13 12:52:42 EDT 2015

On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 9:07 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:

> I highly encourage people to take a look at:
>
> https://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2015/?id=719 (you might have to
> reigster as an apple developer to watch it, I don't know)

No, it's worse than that - the talk is in a format that can only be
parsed by safari. Both firefox and google-chrome fail.

You can download it without registration... and mplayer for linux can
play it back.
(watching it now)

and it is nice to hear they are adopting other standards like ECN.

Nice to see stuart cheshire on the big stage!

> "Your App and Next Generation Networks
> IPv6 is growing exponentially and carriers worldwide are moving to pure IPv6
> APNs. Learn about new tools to test your apps for compatibility and get
> expert advice on making sure your apps work in all network environments. iOS
> 9 and OS X 10.11 now support the latest TCP standards. Hear from the experts
> on TCP Fast Open and Explicit Congestion Notification, and find out how it
> benefits your apps."
>
> Being on this list you might not learn much from the talk, but I really
> appreciate a talk aimed at a wider (developer) audience which so clearly
> outlines the benefits of ECN, CoDel and TCP host opimization to reduce
> end-to-end experienced application communication latency. One of the major
> takeaways is that Apple is planning to by default enable ECN in iOS9 and OSX
> 10.11. This would mean hundreds of millions of devices will be using ECN in
> a few months.

I have generally hoped that a replacement for cubic would arrive... and/or their

and have

> You can skip to 16 minutes into the talk if you're not interested in the new
> requirement for applications to support an environment where it's Internet
> access is IPv6 only behind NAT64+DNS64 (I'm myself super excited about
> this).

I don't understand how badly this is going to break dnssec. dnsmasq in
particular has been dealing with edge case after edge case on dnssec
for the last few months, and it was my hope we'd finally got them all.

> Let's hope this brings a lot of buzz and requests towards device
> manufacturers to start supporting ECN marking and AQM. Apple is usually a
> good megaphone to bring attention to these kinds of issues...

There is an awful lot of "personal" networking that can benefit from this.

What will it take to vastly improve wifi for everyone?
https://plus.google.com/u/0/explore/makewififast