[Bloat] on trying to get the small jobs done sooner and better

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 18:12:53 EDT 2015

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 12:43 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
> Right now the meandering course is to just contribute incremental
> improvements back to the linux and openwrt mainlines, continue
> standardization efforts and develop better tests, towards a better
> network end goal...
>
> ...with the far more broadly scoped make-wifi-fast project concept now
> making it's rounds through various possible funding agencies.
>
> Limited, but broad goals on what budget I have let me sleep better:
>
> Example: I hope that we get cake building soon for all of openwrt and
> then having y'all test it on this platform, and all the others. Being
> able to profile it would be nice too. I am pretty sure we can take
> better advantage of multicore. Jonathon is funded for cake for a while
> longer. My work to get it into openwrt, and the testing I've done, is
> not.
>
> It would be nice to find someone to sink a week into adding BQL to the
> mvneta driver, and profiling it.
>
> I would like to see BQL behave better on hardware multiqueue.
>
> I'd like someone to poke deeply into the wifi chipset this box uses to
> see if we can apply ideas from make-wifi-fast to it.

While I am dubious about the effectiveness of bug bounties[1] on such
diffuse problems, perhaps using some simple means (webservice) of
trying to connect producers with consumers for small jobs like these
three above would be fruitful?

Mechanical turk doesn't quite work for this. Is there a webservice for
intelligent turks? Or some other corporate-connected means of
accumulating bounties of sufficient size for sufficient results?

I would love to know if the wifi on this chipset can be made to do
make-wifi-fast. Nearest time I can think of for me to be able to do
that investigation would be about 2 months from now. I could try and
sink the time between now and then to write up the core criteria by
which a new wifi chipset could be evaluated for suitability.

I would certainly like to find a nice, generic, popular target for
future first-tier prototyping work.

[1] https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=90942.0

> It would be great to have source access to the blobs.

Or to just go and design new hardware along the lines of the OCP
project which I am becoming a great fan of. Fixing other people's
hardware has no direct business model. Been making progress with
onenetswitch of late...

> I am always glad we have such a diverse range of people here,
> scratching the beat-the-bufferbloat itch, and making a difference
> wherever they can, with what abilities and spare time they have.
>
> I would like to see what happened for OCP happen for embedded edge
> devices, also.
>
> http://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-open-compute-project-history-2015-6
>
> From the bottom, looking up, that seems hard.

What will it take to vastly improve wifi for everyone?
https://plus.google.com/u/0/explore/makewififast