[Bloat] backbone loss statistics over the past 15 years or so?

Benjamin Cronce bcronce at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 18:34:32 EDT 2015

> Now in 2015 I notice that it is at 0% packet loss worldwide.  Looks
> > like the big boys found a way to fight any connection speed, and
> > buffer issues that where the cause of what was an ever increasing
> > packet loss issue.  My wish is that it would now make it all the way
> > down to the end of the last mile.  The issues with packet loss due to
> > buffer bloat that are now at the end of the home and business
> > connections I feel helps lead to the congestion issues we see during
> > the high use periods at night. "
>
> http://www.internettrafficreport.com/faq.htm#measure
>
> > Q: How do you measure "Internet traffic?"
> > A: A test called "ping" is used to measure round-trip travel time
> > along major paths on the Internet. We have several servers in
> > different areas of the globe perform the same ping at the same time.
> > Each test server then compares the current response to past responses
> > from the same test to determine if the response was bad or good on a
> > scale of 0 to 100. The scores from all test servers are averaged
> > together into a single index.
>
> If you drill-down on regions, it will show individual routers.  The
> results seem to be particularly binary - a given router will have either
> an index of 100 and a loss percentage of 0, or an index of 0 and a loss
> percentage of 100.  Asia seems to have a couple exceptions proving the
rule.

> You will probably get a kick out of:
>
> http://www.internettrafficreport.com/faq.htm#packet
Dear lord! Quote: "as long as it is under 5% or so you shouldn't even
notice".

In the long long ago, I've had issues with VoIP having issues with under 1%
loss. Issues as in perceptible differences that were both distracting and
sometimes problematic.

More of the issue is that packetloss is typically associated with
congestion which also means high ping times for most. Even then, 5% loss?!
Until recently, I've had pings running 24/7 against external servers like
Google.com, 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, 4.2.2.2, etc. At some point I let ping run
for a month strait and had 0.0002% loss, two ten-thousandths of a percent,
rounded to nearest. Something like 10 packets out of 2.5mil samples that
were taken every 0.5sec. To my ISP during that same time period I had 0%
loss. At one point I let a ping run against an Amazon AWS server in both
Germany and London. Both showed about 0.01-0.001% loss over nearly a week.
Both are about an 8.5k mile round trip if by a bee-line.

> I'm not sure if they are setup to report fractional packet loss
percentages