[Bloat] Possibly FreeBSD's Codel is misconfigued

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 20:13:46 EDT 2015

Sigh. No matter how hard we tried for something almost impossible to
configure wrong, it happens.

1) A target needs to be bigger than the time it takes for a single
full size MTU. E.g. at 1mbit, target should be about 13ms on 1500 byte
mtu.

on that thread:
is this wrong?

altq on em0 codelq( qlimit 5, interval 105 ) bandwidth 630Kb queue { root_em0 }
Edit: To clarify, qlimit = target.

2) There are people there complaining about ping loss in codel under
load. That's expected. (with or without an appropriate target). It
shows it's working.

3) With hfsc, however, sparser flows are prioritized, so you would
probably see less ping loss.