[Bloat] backbone loss statistics over the past 15 years or so?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 12:28:32 EDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 12:32 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> I don't think you can measure backbone loss using ping unless you control both ends and ensure that both last-miles are not contributing to the problem.

Well, fractional percentages would be nice to have out of this website.

I have a great title for a paper one day: "Bufferbloat and the Rise of
the Too-Perfect Network".

> I think there are several different areas to investigate.  The main one is whether your packet gets handed off between two "backbone" IPSs that are currently squabbling about who is going to pay whom how much.  The obvious example is Netflix vs Comcast.

The MIT paper was awesome...

But I am thinking that supply (on downlinks) is outstripping demand,
along the first world edge, now... it really is hard to imagine how
much more bandwidth one can consume...