[Bloat] tackling torrent on a 10mbit uplink (100mbit down)

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 21:08:34 EDT 2015

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 3:14 PM, Benjamin Cronce <bcronce at gmail.com> wrote:

> Linux ISOs are a great way to saturate your download. I have enough
> downloaded that while seeding, I can sustain over 10Mb/s, but don't expect
> to saturate your upload since they're already heavily seeded, but less so
> since I stopped recently.

I went for a representative sample of what torrent gets used for by
ordinary users, randomly picking 4 torrents in the top 10 of music,
tv, movies, and... um, er, ah, pr0n.

...FOR SCIENCE! :)

Going for a linux distro would have yielded a different result. I used
the gutenberg torrent and linux distros primarily in those earlier
tests years ago, and I felt that the data I got then was probably
skewed by that towards linux's behaviors.

The major difference between then and now was no tcp whatsoever, and
no ipv6, where before I had seen a lot of tcp and ipv6. I can redo
those tests at some future point. I think the tcp absence here was
partially upnp not working correctly in my setup last night. I have
been quite concerned that as IW10 moved out there generically that
that would be bad.... and perhaps the lack of ipv6 was due to the
flooding ipv6 issue I posted earlier.

So I'll think about how to go about it properly harder... after I
patch transmission to tos mark packets correctly... (my original
intent was to watch cake do classification) but I would argue to do it
fairly right, consistently, over time, while altering other major
variables like qdisc, would be to continue pulling from the top 10
categories the public is pulling from.

suggestions, anyone?

worldwide bufferbloat report:
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/results/bufferbloat
And:
What will it take to vastly improve wifi for everyone?
https://plus.google.com/u/0/explore/makewififast