[Bloat] using tcp_notsent_lowat in various apps?

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Sun Jun 21 11:04:50 EDT 2015

[Removed bloat-devel from the CC]

> [1] Already sent data [...]
> [2] Not sent data.

[...]

> While NOTSENT_LOWAT is able to restrict (2) only, avoiding filling write
> queue when/if no drops are actually seen.

Thanks for the explanation, Eric.

Do you have any concrete examples where this has been found to yield
better results than what the kernel can do on its own?  I'm probably
missing something, but my intuition is that conversational protocols
should be naturally self-pacing, while for streaming protocols the right
amount of buffering depends on the kernel latency, and hence should be
better done by the kernel itself.

-- Juliusz