[Bloat] TCP congestion detection - random thoughts

Alan Jenkins alan.christopher.jenkins at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 13:05:52 EDT 2015

Hi Ben

Some possible Sunday reading relating to these thoughts :).

https://lwn.net/Articles/645115/ "Delay-gradient congestion control"
[2015, Linux partial implementation]

our Dave's reply to a comment:

https://lwn.net/Articles/647322/

Quote "there is a huge bias (based on the experimental evidence) that
classic delay based tcps lost out to loss based in an undeployable fashion"

- not to argue the quote either way.  But there's some implicit
references there that are relevant.  Primarily a well-documented result
on TCP Vegas.  AIUI Vegas uses increased delay as well as loss/marks as
a congestion signal.  As a result, it gets a lower share of the
bottleneck bandwidth when competing with other TCPs. Secondly uTP has a
latency (increase) target (of 100ms :p), _deliberately_ to de-prioritize
itself.  (This is called LEDBAT and has also been implemented as a TCP).

Alan