[Bloat] BitTorrent and IPv6 [was: tackling torrent...]

Juliusz Chroboczek jch at pps.univ-paris-diderot.fr
Wed Jun 24 13:30:53 EDT 2015

>> It also appeared to show that transmission chose one and only one of the
>> ipv6 addresses available on this box.

> Yes.  My code explicitly binds the UDPv6 socket to a single address.

I've just been informed by a reliable source that Vuze's "mldht" plugin
does not suffer from this issue -- it runs a different instance of the
Kademlia algorithm on every address allocated to the host:

    "to the outside world it just looks like separate DHT nodes running
     on each port. you have to look closely to notice the shared internal
     state"

I've also received a copy of the Kademlia routing table of their
implementation running on a host with 256 distinct IPv4 addresses.

-- Juliusz