[Bloat] Any OpenWRT eth drivers with BQL support?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 06:33:01 EDT 2015

I implemented BQL for the ar71xx driver ages back, so anything using
that (which also has ath9k) is good. This includes the archer c7v2,
wndr3800, wndr4300, and a metric ton of other platforms from nearly
every vendor.

I also did a test implementation of xmit_more for that also, but it
(on a very limited series of tests) actually cut throughput by 80mbit.
There was a lot more wrong with my testbed at the time, so I regard
that test as worth repeating, also.

Presently the mvneta driver in the linksys 1200ac (1900, mirabox, etc)
is the leading candidate for attempting a BQL implementation, (we are
seeing an extra 5-14ms of induced latency coming from somewhere) but
thus far we have not had someone with the time and gear to go make it
work. (hint, hint). I did nag the author once.... the armada 385 chip
is the one with the least vendor "secret sauce", and best overall
linux support of a ragtag field, and can, route at a gbit, where the
ar71xx falls over at over 500mbit.

Recently a realtek driver gained BQL (cant remember which one)
http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/BQL_enabled_drivers
and that particular chip was highly used by a bunch of firewall-ish devices.
but I dont think it was backported to openwrt CC, which froze on linux 3.18.

Until fairly recently what time I have had for this (and cake) was
mostly spent on a rangeley box (which used to run openwrt until the
usb stick fried, now runs debian on a big disk). All the intel
platforms have great BQL support.

I am happy that I got a very stable build of the ar71xx stuff out of
openwrt trunk last week, the changeover to libmusl, while not
painless, went fast.

It would be good for somone  to spin up a "BQL on everything" project.
So many drivers, so little time.

http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/bloat/wiki/BQL_enabled_drivers is
where I have been keeping the list. Having a list of platforms easier
to parse than:

https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/

https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/mvebu/generic/

would be good.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 2:32 AM, Jesper Dangaard Brouer
<brouer at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave and others,
>
> People are asking for recommendations on choosing/buying an OpenWRT
> based/supported router box... I want to recommend HW devices that have
> implemented BQL in their drivers.
>
> Can anyone remember which HW-routers have Ethernet device drivers what
> implements BQL?
>
> --
> Best regards,
>   Jesper Dangaard Brouer
>   MSc.CS, Sr. Network Kernel Developer at Red Hat
>   Author of http://www.iptv-analyzer.org
>   LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/brouer

worldwide bufferbloat report:
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/results/bufferbloat
And:
What will it take to vastly improve wifi for everyone?
https://plus.google.com/u/0/explore/makewififast