[Bloat] Bufferbloat related censorship at Virgin Media

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 19:25:31 EST 2015

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 4:17 PM, Steinar H. Gunderson
<sgunderson at bigfoot.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 01, 2015 at 04:01:02PM -0800, Dave Taht wrote:
>> http://snapon.lab.bufferbloat.net/~d/ieee802.11-sept-17-2014/11-14-1265-00-0wng-More-on-Bufferbloat.pdf
>
> I see “remove reorder buffers” and I'm scared; all the world is not TCP...
> (My ISP reorders packets a _lot_, and it messes up my multicast TV a _lot_.)

That is one of the concepts in there that I haven't explained very
well. Once we have multistation queueing working,
we will be able to switch to another station(s), while an aggregate
experiencing problems is retried for another station.

what happens now in many APs -  is that all the packets get held up
until all packets arrive, thus inducing latency. This version,
of the ideas, gets the retransmit right while not blocking anything
else, nor (except in circumstances where aggregates for a given
station are being transmitted back to back, which is something we need
to be aware of and compensate for) does it cause re-ordering problems,
particularly if we are fq aware on the scheduling of each flow.

Secondly, you are describing multicast, and NOTHING on wifi is going
to fix ooo problems there - lost packets are just, lost packets.

> /* Steinar */
> --
> Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

Let's make wifi fast, less jittery and reliable again!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/TVX3o84jjmb