[Bloat] [Bulk] Re: Motivating commercial entities? tell the sales manager (fwd)

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Mar 9 04:29:53 EDT 2015

On Sun, 8 Mar 2015, Koen Holtman wrote:

> One thing that I am unclear on is whether the codel algorithms are mature
> enough to allow them to be pitched as a low-risk solution that Wi-Fi vendors
> could all adopt to fix bufferbloat. If I browse around I am getting a

There are two things that the wifi vendors need to do, one is related to
bufferbloat, the other is not.

They need to make sure the drivers for their devices give enough support
for the IP stack of the device to be able to handle bufferbloat.

They need to make sure multicast works much better than it does today.
IPv6 relies on it.

If they can't fix this, then more people are going to rely on their cabled
connections because wifi won't be good enough, and I would imagine this
will make it less of a driver to upgrade their equipment to support newer
Wifi standards, which sounds like that would hurt sales. If they do fix
it, then whatever new standard they come up with will drive sales because
now Wifi will work better and there would be a driver to upgrade for the
userbase, for instance that they can watch multicast TV on their wifi
(which plain doesn't work today).

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se