[Bloat] http/2

Jonathan Morton chromatix99 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 15:42:45 EDT 2015

I have sometimes noticed that the first packet after an idle period gets
additional latency on 3G. It's not much, maybe a quarter second. I'm not
worried about that, and it doesn't really cause any problems for me. I
expect that's the C-plane latency you're on about.

I was talking specifically about what happens when traffic is already
flowing - NOT idle - and then an additional, concurrent flow wants to start
up. If it goes to a different server, it's likely to start with a DNS
lookup, and resolvers tend to have remarkably short timeouts these days. A
few seconds induced latency, due to plain old bufferbloat, is enough to
make it fail.

- Jonathan Morton