[Bloat] marketing #102 - giving netperf-wrapper a better name?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 19:01:34 EDT 2015

as netperf-wrapper has grown to include far more tests than netperf,
with quite a few more on their way, calling it this is increasingly
less appropriate:

A noted cynic wrote me privately last month, about netperf-wrapper:

'why don't you rename the friggin thing "bufferbloat" or
"bloattest" or something?  Netperf-wrapper is a terrible name,
seemingly still whatever the programmer called it when he wrote the
first sketchy version, one step up from "foo"'

Hmm...  we need a name with more foo, for sure, a better, more
descriptive name. Anyone got any ideas? Maybe run a contest somewhere?

One (technical) hope would be to find a good file extension for the
output, so it could be more easily parsed by browsers... but to heck
with that... a better name?

Toke had some ideas also:

- NQT - http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/NQT - I especially like
  "Not Quite There". nqt.org points to this: http://dyslexiafoundation.org/nqt/

- NetQual - http://www.qoesystems.com/NETQUAL.html

- NQ-tester - doesn't seem to be taken by anything obvious

Let's make wifi fast, less jittery and reliable again!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107942175615993706558/posts/TVX3o84jjmb