[Bloat] setting queue depth on tail drop configurations of pfifo_fast

Bill Ver Steeg (versteb) versteb at cisco.com
Fri Mar 27 19:18:07 EDT 2015

Dave Lang-

Yup, you got the intent.

The ABR video delivery stack is actually one level more complex. The application uses plain old HTTP to receive N==2 second chunks of video, which in turn uses TCP to get the data, which in turn interacts with the various queuing mechanisms, yada, yada, yada. So, the application rate adaptation logic is using the HTTP transfer rate to decide whether to upshift to a higher video rate, downshift to a lower video rate, or stay at the current video rate at each chunk boundary.

There are several application layer algorithms in use (Netflix, MPEG DASH, Apple, Microsoft, etc), and many of them use more than one TCP/HTTP session to get chunks. Lots of moving parts, and IMHO most of these developers are more concerned with getting the best possible throughput than being bloat-friendly. Driving the network at the perceived available line rate for hours at a time is simply not network friendly.....

Clearly, the newer AQM algorithms will handle these types of aggressive ABR algorithms better. There also may be a way to tweak the ABR algorithm to "do the right thing" and make the system work better - both from a "make my video better" standpoint and a "don't impact cross traffic" standpoint. As a start, I am thinking of ways to keep the sending rate between the max video rate and the (perceived) network rate. This does impact how such a flow competes with other flows, and

Regarding peeking into the kernel ----- The overall design of the existing systems assumes that they need to run on several OSes/platforms, and therefore they (generally) do not peak into the kernel. I have done some work that does look into the kernel to examine TCP receive queue sizes ---  https://smartech.gatech.edu/bitstream/handle/1853/45059/GT-CS-12-07.pdf -- and it worked pretty well. That scheme would be difficult to productize, and I am thinking about server-based methods in addition to client based methods to keep out congestion jail. Perhaps using HTTP pragmas to have the client signal the desired send rate to the HTTP server.

Bill Ver Steeg