[Bloat] Latency Measurements in Speed Test suites (was: DOCSIS 3+ recommendation?)

Pedro Tumusok pedro.tumusok at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 21:30:41 EDT 2015

Justin has signed up for this list, I will just copy the question he sent
me directly over at DSLReports and let you  chime in with your views.

--

I've subscribed to the list.

Currently the 'saturation' meter is pinging away at an unrelated server (
dslreports.com)
probably it should ping away, and with higher frequency, at one of the
servers streaming data in? because then there are more likely to be filled
buffers en-route?
or are the bloated buffers mainly at the customer end of the experience.

I can make the saturation meter display RTT directly, and continue during
the test as an preference. I don't really want to have it pinging away
during the test because it probably slows the result down. Actually I'll
have to check that. Definitely on slow lines it would (like GPRS and 3G).

tcptrace on the server side of one stream would immediately reveal average
and peak RTT and more. I wonder if that is the goal to be shooting for
rather than these more indirect measurements.

What is the buffer bloat opinion on the ESNet page?

»fasterdata.es.net/network-tuning ··· r-bloat/

they say more not less buffers are needed for 10gig, and its only a problem
with residential.

--
Best regards / Mvh
Jan Pedro Tumusok