[Bloat] Bufferbloat and the policy debate on packet loss in nanog

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Sun Mar 1 20:10:52 EST 2015

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 7:56 PM, Aaron Wood <woody77 at gmail.com> wrote:

> But until the silicon vendors update _their_ forks of OpenWRT,
> commercially available home routers won't have these benefits.  Because the
> home router market is dominated by packaged reference designs from one of a
> very small number of companies that actually make all the chipsets (Dave, I
> know you know this, I'm mostly just choir-preaching myself).

​I was talking to one of the major chipset vendors just this last Thursday.​

​
We have to fork-lift upgrade all of these devices, ASAP.

And change how we build/maintain these systems, and do business in embedded
systems.

See my Berkman Center talk here:

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/events/luncheon/2014/06/gettys​

​We'll be struggling with the policies issues the rest of our lives (which
is why I presented to the Berkman Center).

Also read Dan Geer's policy piece in Lawfare the Lawfare blog.

http://www.lawfareblog.com/2014/04/heartbleed-as-metaphor/

Bruce Schneier's piece in Wired on the IOT is also very good, but aimed at
a mass audience.

I will be publishing and updated version of the talk very soon; the
situation is yet more perilous since June, and my explanations clearer.

Jim

​