[Bloat] [aqm] ping loss "considered harmful"

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Mar 4 03:12:02 EST 2015

On Mon, 2 Mar 2015, Dave Taht wrote:

> I note that there are conflicting definitions of CS1 (background).
> Comcast, re-marks about 90% I see to CS1 from whatever it was
> originally, in the hope that it is treated as background. The ancient
> firmware in commercial home routers *prioritizes* CS1 on etheret and
> *deprioritizes it* on wifi, into the 802.11e background queue, when
> enabled. CeroWrt tries to cons

This is the default I have seen in quite a few 4 queue L2 devices, I
believe it comes from IEEE recommendations:

https://community.extremenetworks.com/extreme/topics/default_802_1p_priority_to_transmit_queue_mapping

     Product           802.1p Priority/CoS    Transmit Queue

Matrix N; non-Policy Priority, 'show port priority-queue'
  -4 or 8 queues-              0      4&8 Qs-> 1
     Fast Ethernet ports       1               0
                               2               0
                               3               1
                               4               2
                               5               2
                               6               3
                               7               3

Since a lot of products will mark IP PREC part of TOS directly into .1p
bits, this means CS0 and CS3 goes into higher priority queues compared to
CS1 and CS2.

http://www.hp.com/rnd/device_help/help/hpwnd/webhelp/HPJ4121A/qos_priority_map.html
seems to indicate HP does the same.

http://alliedtelesis.com/manuals/GS900M_Series_Web_Browser_User_Guide_revA/aw1001299.html
says the same.

However, I find devices that do differently by default as you have already
discovered.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se