[Bloat] [Cerowrt-devel] [aqm] ping loss "considered harmful"

dpreed at reed.com dpreed at reed.com
Wed Mar 4 12:34:41 EST 2015

It's a heavy burden to place on ICMP ping to say that it should tell you about all aspects of its path through all the networks between source and destination.

On the other hand, I'll suggest that Fred's point - treat ICMP Ping like any other IP datagram with the same header options is the essence of Ping's function.

I'd suggest that a more flexible rule would be for the echo reply to set header options (including DSCP) based on the ping packet's content tells it to be set to.

DSCP should not be changed en route, so the receiver of the echo reply should be able to know what DSCP was used on the reply packet.

Clearly the value of Ping is its standardized form and its ubiquity.  Being able to control all header options from the sender is useful for that function.  If the receiver cannot satisfy the request (e.g. it doesn't support the DSCP mechanism), it can just refuse to set it. That way, Ping acquires an option, but the option is upward compatible if not supported.

(I specifically talk about all header options here, rather than DSCP in particular.  For example, one could request ECN marking in the same way, with the same rules. I'm not a big fan of DSCP because I think the code points are poorly defined and so forth, but that's irrelevant to the thinking about Ping vs. "envelope" option - fully end-to-end modular services like ECN clearly should be testable in this way, and in the case of ECN, the notion of just not doing it if you can't do it fits into the Ping conceptual framework).