[Bloat] tsiox almost gets fixing bufferbloat right on reddit

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 10:43:17 EST 2015

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 7:09 AM, Rich Brown <richb.hanover at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems that tsiox (on Reddit) is advocating that people invert the usual shotgun approach of guessing which QoS policies to implement, and instead use the following steps if "the network is slow":
>
> - The first line of defense is minimizing queues in the bottleneck routers. Using fq_codel, pie, or other traffic shaping policy really makes a huge difference without spending time on configuration.
>
> - After the traffic shaping is in place, measure the traffic responsiveness. If you can tell that the traffic shapers aren't quite doing the trick, then implement QoS, but only for the critical traffic that needs prioritization.
>
> - And of course, you may actually need more bandwidth. (The example in the Reddit thread of 100 video feeds at 1Mbps - you're going to *require* a 100 Mbps feed. No amount of queue management, prioritization, etc. will help.)
>
> Questions:
>
> - Is this a good policy, properly stated?

I agree with your description above, however, based on his prior
experience with FQ technologies, he is recomending very short queues
used with sch_fq in his example script, and then documenting that
people's tcps didn't work as well as they could. All he needs to do is
change one line in the scripts he is distributing to his customers to
use fq_codel, and I think he'd be golden.

> - Is it something we should espouse on the Bloat/CeroWrt sites?

Well....