[Bloat] [Cerowrt-devel] DOCSIS 3+ recommendation?

dpreed at reed.com dpreed at reed.com
Thu Mar 19 16:29:21 EDT 2015

I do think engineers operating networks get it, and that Comcast's engineers really get it, as I clarified in my followup note.

The issue is indeed prioritization of investment, engineering resources and management attention. The teams at Comcast in the engineering side have been the leaders in "bufferbloat minimizing" work, and I think they should get more recognition for that.

I disagree a little bit about not having a test that shows the issue, and the value the test would have in demonstrating the issue to users.  Netalyzer has been doing an amazing job on this since before the bufferbloat term was invented. Every time I've talked about this issue I've suggested running Netalyzer, so I have a personal set of comments from people all over the world who run Netalyzer on their home networks, on hotel networks, etc.

When I have brought up these measurements from Netalyzr (which are not aimed at showing the problem as users experience) I observe an interesting reaction from many industry insiders:  the results are not "sexy enough for stupid users" and also "no one will care".

I think the reaction characterizes the problem correctly - but the second part is the most serious objection.  People don't need a measurement tool, they need to know that this is why their home network sucks sometimes.