[Bloat] Detecting bufferbloat from outside a node

Paolo Valente paolo.valente at unimore.it
Mon May 4 06:31:59 EDT 2015

Il giorno 27/apr/2015, alle ore 22:39, David Lang <david at lang.hm> ha scritto:

> On Mon, 27 Apr 2015, Paolo Valente wrote:

>>> No, not unless the application tells you (by, for instance,
>>> timestamping; depending on where in the network stack the timestamp is
>>> applied, you can measure different instances of bloat).
>>
>> That’s exactly what I was thinking about. Actually it seems the only solution to me.
>>
>> What apparently makes things more difficult is that I am not allowed either to choose the applications to run or to interfere in any way with the flows (e.g., by injecting some extra packet).
>>
>> Any pointer to previous/current work on this topic?
>>
>>> Or if you know
>>> that an application is supposed to answer you immediately (as is the
>>> case with a regular 'ping'), you can measure if it does so even when
>>> otherwise loaded.
>>>

>> A ping was one of the first simple actions I suggested, but the answer was, as above: no you cannot ‘touch' the network!
>>
>>> Of course, you also might not measure anything, if the bottleneck is
>>> elsewhere. But if you can control the conditions well enough, you can
>>> probably avoid this; just be aware of it. In Linux, combating
>>> bufferbloat has been quite the game of whack-a-mole over the last
>>> several years :)
>>>

>> Then I guess that now I am trying to build a good mallet according to the rules of the game for this company :)
>>
>> In any case, the target networks should be observable at such a level that, yes, all relevant conditions should be under control (if one does not make mistakes). My problem is, as I wrote above, to find out what information I can and have to look at.
>
> What is it that you do have available?
>
> Bufferbloat usually isn't a huge problem on the leaf node where the applications are running. They usually have a fast local LAN link.
>
> Bufferbloat causes most of it's problems when it's on a middlebox where the available bandwidth changes so that one link becomes congested.

Thanks for this clarification. So there are at least two classes of problems to look at: endogenous bufferbloat (unlikely, but probably still to be controlled in a sound network-monitoring tool) and external bufferbloat.

> If you can monitor packets going in and out of such links, you should be able to exactly measure the latency you get going through the device.
>
> If you are trying to probe the network from the outside, without being able to even generate ping packets, then you have a problem.
>
> If you can monitor ping packets going into the network, you can figure out how long they take to get back out.

Being measures passive, I think I can only if some users/applications happens to generate these packets.

> Look for other protocols that should have a very fast response time. DNS and NTP are probably pretty good options. HTTP requests for small static pages aren't always reliable, but can be useful (or especially ones that check for cache expiration, HTTP HEAD commands for example)
>
> If you can look at such traffic over a shortish, but not tiny, timeframe, you should be able to find the minimum response time for such traffic, and that can give you a pretty good idea of the about of minimum latency involved.

Thanks a lot. Differently from ping, I guess that these types of traffic are likely to be frequently in progress in typical networks.

Could your considerations be further extended/generalized as follows: for any node belonging to the network (being monitored), if the node forwards packets, then we can detect somehow if it is suffering from bufferbloat by measuring for how long it holds forwarded packets? (Which is probably related to what Neil patiently tried to explain me in his just-arrived email.)

Thanks,
Paolo

--
Paolo Valente