[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Wed May 6 11:30:22 EDT 2015

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 4:50 AM, Sebastian Moeller <moeller0 at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> On May 6, 2015, at 07:08 , Simon Barber <simon at superduper.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi Sebastian,
> >
> > My numbers are what I've personally come up with after working for many
> years with VoIP - they have no other basis.
>
>         I did not intend to be-little such numbers at all, I just wanted
> to propose that we either use generally accepted scientifically measured
> numbers or make such measurements our self.
>
> > One thing is that you have to compare apples to apples - the ITU numbers
> are for acoustic one way delay.
>
> True, and this is why we easily can estimate the delay cost of different
> stages of the whole voip one-way pipeline to deuce how much latent budget
> we have for the network (aka buffer bloat on the way), but still bases our
> numbers on some reference for mouth-to-ear-delay. I think we can
> conservatively estimate the latency cost of the sampling, sender processing
> and receiver processing (outside of the de-jitter buffering) seem harder to
> estimate reliably, to my untrained eye.
>
> > The poor state of jitter buffer implementations that almost every VoIP
> app or device has means that to hit these acoustic delay numbers you need
> significantly lower network delays.
>
>         I fully agree, and if we can estimate this I think we can justify
> deductions from the mouth-to-ear budget. I would as first approximation
> assume that what we call latency under load increase to be tightly
> correlated with jitter, so we could take our “bloat-measurement” in ms an
> directly deduct it from the budget (or if we want to accept occasional
> voice degradation we can pick a sufficiently high percentile, but that is
> implementation detail).
>
> > Also note that these numbers are worst case, which must include trip
> halfway around the globe - if you can hit the numbers with half globe
> propagation then you will hit much better numbers for 'local calls’.
>
>         We  could turn this around by estimating to what distance voip
> quality will be good/decent/acceptable/lughable…

​Mean RTT is almost useless for VOIP and teleconferencing.  What matters is
the RTT + jitter; a VOIP or teleconferencing application cannot function at
a given latency unless the "drop outs" caused by late packets is low enough
to not be obnoxious to human perception; there are a number of techniques
to hide such late packet dropouts but all of them (short of FEC) damage the
audio stream.

So ideally, not only do you measure the delay, you also measure the jitter
to be able to figure out a realistic operating point for such applications.
                                          - Jim

​

​