[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

jb justin at dslr.net
Thu May 7 03:08:47 EDT 2015

I am working on a multi-location jitter test (sorry PDV!) and it is showing
a lot of promise.
For the purposes of reporting jitter, what kind of time measurement horizon
is acceptable
and what is the +/- output actually based on, statistically ?

For example - is one minute or more of jitter measurements, with the +/-
being
the 2rd std deviation, reasonable or is there some generally accepted
definition ?

ping reports an "mdev" which is
SQRT(SUM(RTT*RTT) / N – (SUM(RTT)/N)^2)
but I've seen jitter defined as maximum and minimum RTT around the average
however that seems very influenced by one outlier measurement.

thanks