[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu May 7 03:24:17 EDT 2015

On Thu, 7 May 2015, Jonathan Morton wrote:

> However the more common characteristic is that delay is sometimes low
> (link idle) and sometimes high (buffer full) and rarely in between. In
> other words, delay samples are not statistically independent; loss due
> to jitter is bursty, and real-time applications like VoIP can't cope
> with that. For that reason, and due to your low temporal sampling rate,
> you should take the peak delay observed under load and compare it to the
> average during idle.

Well, some applications will stop playing if the playout-buffer is empty,
and if the packet arrives late, just start playing again and then increase
the PDV buffer to whatever gap was observed, and if the PDV buffer has
sustained fill, start playing it faster or skipping packets to play down
the PDV buffer fill again.

So you'll observe silence or cutouts, but you'll still hear all sound but
after this event, your mouth-ear-mouth-ear delay has now increased.

As far as I can tell, for instance Skype has a lot of different ways to
cope with changing characteristics of the path, which work a lot better
than a 10 year old classic PSTN-style G.711-over-IP style system with
static 40ms PDV buffers, which behave exactly as you describe.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se