[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu May 7 09:18:51 EDT 2015

On Thu, 7 May 2015, Jim Gettys wrote:

> Ideally, we need to get someone involved in WebRTC to help with this, to
> present statistics that may be useful to end users to predict the
> behavior of their service.

If nothing else, I would really like to be able to expose the realtime
application and its network experience, to the user.

For the kind of classic PSTNoverIP system I mentioned before, it was
usually possible to collect statistics such as:

Packet loss (packet was lost completely)
Packet re-ordering (packets arrived out of order)
Packet PDV buffer miss (packet arrived too late to be played on time)
I guess it's possible to get PDV buffer underrun or overrun (depending on
how one sees it), if I get a bunch of PDV buffer misses and then I halt
play-out to wait for the PDV buffer to fill up, and then I get 200ms worth
of packets at once and I don't have 200ms worth of buffer, then I throw
away sound due to that...

So it's all depending on the whole machinery and how it acts, you need
different statistics. How to present this in a useful manner to the user
is a very interesting problem, but it would be nice if most VoIP
applications at least had a "status window" where these values could be
seen in a graph or something similar to "task manager" in windows.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se