[Bloat] better business bufferbloat monitoring tools?

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Tue May 12 12:00:03 EDT 2015

One thread bothering me on dslreports.com is that some folk seem to
think you only get bufferbloat if you stress test the network, where
transient bufferbloat is happening all the time, everywhere.

On one of my main sqm'd network gateways, day in, day out, it reports
about 6000 drops or ecn marks on ingress, and about 300 on egress.
Before I doubled the bandwidth that main box got, the drop rate used
to be much higher, and a great deal of the bloat, drops, etc, has now
moved into the wifi APs deeper into the network where I am not
monitoring it effectively.

I would love to see tools like mrtg, cacti, nagios and smokeping[1] be
more closely integrated, with bloat related plugins, and in
particular, as things like fq_codel and other ecn enabled aqms deploy,
start also tracking congestive events like loss and ecn CE markings on
the bandwidth tracking graphs.

This would counteract to some extent the classic 5 minute bandwidth
summaries everyone looks at, that hide real traffic bursts, latencies
and loss at sub 5 minute timescales.

mrtg and cacti rely on snmp. While loss statistics are deeply part of
snmp, I am not aware of there being a mib for CE events and a quick
google search was unrevealing. ?

There is also a need for more cross-network monitoring using tools
such as that done by this excellent paper.

http://www.caida.org/publications/papers/2014/measurement_analysis_internet_interconnection/measurement_analysis_internet_interconnection.pdf

[1] the network monitoring tools market is quite vast and has many
commercial applications, like intermapper, forks of nagios, vendor
specific producs from cisco, etc, etc. Far too many to list, and so
far as I know, none are reporting ECN related stats, nor combining
latency and loss with bandwidth graphs. I would love to know if any
products, commercial or open source, did....

Open Networking needs **Open Source Hardware**

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+EricRaymond/posts/JqxCe2pFr67