[Bloat] Fwd: Initial Spreading patch

renaud sallantin renaud.sallantin at gmail.com
Wed May 13 19:59:39 EDT 2015

Dear Dave,

A quick answer from a small paradise where I am ending my hollydays
(Internet is sadly not as efficient everywhere, and I am lucky to get your
email...) lets speak more about it next week !!!

Attached to this email, you can find our patch tested with Linux 3.13.8.
As you can see, we used a slightly modified version of the FQ scheduler
developed by Eric Dumazet.

We introduced two sysctl parameters to ease your tests:
- tcp_initial_spreading_rate_min (integer):
It corresponds to the minimal rate value computed by Initial Spreading.
Considering draft-sallantin-tcpm-initial-spreading-00,
                        tcp_initial_spreading_rate_min= MTU / T_Spreading

- tcp_initial_spreading_rate_debug (boolean):
When non-zero, a kernel log  message will print the rate used by Initial
Spreading each time a TCP connection is opened.

Regards,
Renaud Sallantin
Dear all,

Following our last email,
some of you asked for our Initial Spreading implementation.

Attached to this email, you can find our patch tested with Linux 3.13.8.
As you can see, we used a slightly modified version of the FQ scheduler
developed by Eric Dumazet.

We introduced two sysctl parameters to ease your tests:
- tcp_initial_spreading_rate_min (integer):
It corresponds to the minimal rate value computed by Initial Spreading.
Considering draft-sallantin-tcpm-initial-spreading-00,
                        tcp_initial_spreading_rate_min= MTU / T_Spreading

- tcp_initial_spreading_rate_debug (boolean):
When non-zero, a kernel log  message will print the rate used by Initial
Spreading each time a TCP connection is initialized

We hope that you will be able to try Initial Spreading and that you will
confirm the good results we obtained.

Your comments on the patch but also on the draft are more than welcome,
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-sallantin-tcpm-initial-spreading-00

Regards,
Renaud Sallantin