[Bloat] tc -s qdisc questions

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Fri May 15 04:16:06 EDT 2015

On 15/05/2015 00:41, Dave Taht wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 3:22 PM, Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant
> <kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk> wrote:
>> Hi Chaps,
>>
>> Further to Dave's recent request for 'tc -s qdisc' stats looking at drops vs
>> ecn marks, please could someone take a look at these and explain to this
>> idiot quite what is going on?  This is a particularly slow & ratty ADSL line
>> providing my parents internet 'service'.  Before I got hold of it with
>> OpenWrt CC trunk + cake jammed in it, 6 seconds of bufferbloat was not
>> uncommon.  I'm using the default sqm scripts that arrive with the
>> 'ceropackages' repo (used as a source of patched iproute2, cake, etc)  In
>> essence 2 questions: 1) Why no ECN marks, only drops?
> http://www.bufferbloat.net/projects/cerowrt/wiki/Enable_ECN

Ahh!  Penny drops, light goes on.  Thanks Jonathan & Dave.  I thought it was some magic the router performed but now I can see how silly my thinking is on that.  So presumably it would be helpful to enable ecn on the openwrt router box IF that box were producing significant traffic of its own, in addition to all the LAN side boxes?

--
Thanks,

Kevin at Darbyshire-Bryant.me.uk

Theresa May is watching YOU on the internet.  Join ORG
https://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2015/this-government-will-put-the-snoopers-charter-and-more-back-on-the-table