[Bloat] General Bufferbloat Testing Document.

Stephen Hemminger stephen at networkplumber.org
Fri May 15 20:17:57 EDT 2015

On Fri, 15 May 2015 12:16:56 -0400
Jim Gettys <jg at freedesktop.org> wrote:

> Even before I knew about the wonderful DSLreports bufferbloat test, I had
> started working on a document to help people like that (e.g. Ookla)
> understand how to do bufferbloat testing.  The document also grew a bit
> beyond that topic, by the time it was done....
>
> The document is at:
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z5NN4WRKQKK-RtxtKR__XIwkybvsKEmunek2Ezdw_90/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Comments welcome.
>
> It's intended long term home is the bufferbloat.net wiki, but I've found
> Google doc's commenting feature really useful.
>                            - Jim

Great to see, I think it does a good job of being detailed without overwhelmingly
research oriented.

What makes you believe SPDY and QUIC will be better than TCP? I know they do
pacing but if they get the rate estimation wrong or get hit by transient congestion
it could have same failing that doomed TCP Vegas.