[Bloat] tc -s qdisc questions

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon May 18 01:46:34 EDT 2015

On Sun, 17 May 2015, Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant wrote:

> Thanks Mikael - some ECN tweakage in progress.  I'll see which bits of
> the Internet I use break :-)

I have been running this on my macbook for almost 2 years (since I got
it):

$ cat /etc/sysctl.conf
net.inet.tcp.ecn_initiate_out=1
net.inet.tcp.ecn_negotiate_in=1

and this on my linux server for 5+ years:

$ cat /etc/sysctl.conf | grep -i ecn
net.ipv4.tcp_ecn = 1

I used the same on my previous Ubuntu based laptop for 5+ years.

I have yet to encounter any ECN related breakage. I have had significant
problems with IPv6 PMTUD blackholing, but no ECN related problems. I had
ECN related problems back in 2001 (or whenever it was)  when Linux first
introduced it due to a lot of firewalls being very paranoid about it, but
then I turned it back on again 5-7 years ago and by then all problems were
gone.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se