[Bloat] [Cake] dslreports and inbound rate shaping

Kevin Darbyshire-Bryant kevin at darbyshire-bryant.me.uk
Fri May 22 07:16:38 EDT 2015

On 22/05/2015 12:07, Jonathan Morton wrote:
>> fq_codel 40000 9700 interval 100ms http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/526347 - 116 191 118 spikey
>> fq_codel 40000 9700 interval 5ms   http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/526353 - 109 172 112 spikey
> On a 40Mbit downlink, setting ingress to 40Mbit will exert effectively no control over incoming traffic.  So what you’re seeing here is the raw performance of your ISP.
>
> I’d really like to see Dave trying this, since he was noting the problem to solve originally.
>
>  - Jonathan Morton

I followed it up with an outright lie to the limiter (and in interests of full disclosure I changed the outbound limit to be more conservative)

fq_codel 80000! 9500 interval 100ms http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/526549 109 139 115
fq_codel 80000! 9500 interval 5ms   http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/526556 111 183 115 - more & higher spikes

I'll keep quiet now and hopefully watch other's results come in!

--
Thanks,

Kevin at Darbyshire-Bryant.me.uk