[Bloat] DSLReports Speed Test has latency measurement built-in

Simon Barber simon at superduper.net
Thu May 7 10:45:51 EDT 2015

The key figure for VoIP is maximum latency, or perhaps somewhere around
99th percentile. Voice packets cannot be played out if they are late, so
how late they are is the only thing that matters. If many packets are early
but more than a very small number are late, then the jitter buffer has to
adjust to handle the late packets. Adjusting the jitter buffer disrupts the
conversation, so ideally adjustments are infrequent. When maximum latency
suddenly increases it becomes necessary to increase the buffer fairly
quickly to avoid a dropout in the conversation. Buffer reductions can be
hidden by waiting for gaps in conversation. People get used to the acoustic
round trip latency and learn how quickly to expect a reply from the other
person (unless latency is really too high), but adjustments interfere with
this learned expectation, so make it hard to interpret why the other person
has paused. Thus adjustments to the buffering should be as infrequent as
possible.

Codel measures and tracks minimum latency in its inner 'interval' loop. For
VoIP the maximum is what counts. You can call it minimum + jitter, but the
maximum is the important thing (not the absolute maximum, since a very
small number of late packets are tolerable, but perhaps the 99th percentile).

During a conversation it will take some time at the start to learn the
characteristics of the link, but ideally the jitter buffer algorithm will
quickly get to a place where few adjustments are made. The more
conservative the buffer (higher delay above minimum) the less likely a
future adjustment will be needed, hence a tendency towards larger buffers
(and more delay).

Priority queueing is perfect for VoIP, since it can keep the jitter at a
single hop down to the transmission time for a single maximum size packet.
Fair Queueing will often achieve the same thing, since VoIP streams are
often the lowest bandwidth ongoing stream on the link.

Simon

Sent with AquaMail for Android
http://www.aqua-mail.com