[Bloat] dslreports bufferbloat tests

Kelvin Edmison kelvin at edmison.net
Wed Apr 6 12:08:33 EDT 2016

I think people focus on packet loss so much because the term is short, seemingly conveys a lot of info and is easy to measure.

Given that know how to measure bloat, it strikes me that what is needed is a short marketing-style tag for bloat that can be put up against the term "packet loss".

To kick off discussion, I'd suggest 'latency hit'. As in, man, I took a big latency hit when trying to get to zero packet loss.   If it's measured as milliseconds of delay above the minimum possible when buffers are empty, then we can start to get testers to test and publish results in both dimensions and start to drive discussion and awareness of how a little packet loss can drive your latency hit way down.

Regards,
  Kelvin

Sent from my iPhone