[Bloat] Difference between codel and fq_codel?

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Fri Apr 8 15:37:34 EDT 2016

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Rick Jones <rick.jones2 at hpe.com> wrote:

> On 02/03/2016 11:22 AM, John Klimek wrote:
>
>> I'm currently using pfaense which only supports codel and not
>> fq_codel. Is there a big difference between them?  Is it worth
>> looking into using a different router?
>>

> My simplistic understanding is fq_codel creates several/many different
> queues, spreading flows across those queues and applying codel on each
> queue.
>

> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/tc-fq_codel.8.html
>
> http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/tc-codel.8.html

​It also preferentially schedules "new" queues, relative to queues that
have a standing queue.  So short transactions such as dchp, ra, short RPC
transactions, VOIP, etc fly through the router relative to bulk TCP flows.

This algorithm does really wonderful things for any flow that is a "good
citizen" by pacing their traffic at their share of available bandwidth,
rather than bursting their traffic.  For the first time, there is incentive
to be a "good citizen" in your behavior.