[Bloat] Open Source Speed Test (was fast.com - Netflix's speed monitoring)

Kathleen Nichols nichols at pollere.com
Fri Aug 26 19:13:21 EDT 2016

I think it might be useful to say these tests measure the maximum
*potential* for
bufferbloat. That is, they plumb the depths of the buffers in the path.
I tried running
dslreports while I was running a video and though dslreports ramps
delays up to 700ms,
before and after that peak delay is more like 45ms. I don't think large
buffers are going
to go away, what matters is whether they are getting filled up.

So, is "bufferbloat" the existence of large buffers or the existence of
large queues? I think
the latter.

	Kathie