[Bloat] Bufferbloat test measurements

Alan Jenkins alan.christopher.jenkins at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 12:03:22 EDT 2016

That's the simplest measure of bufferbloat though :).

Do you have a criticism in terms of dslreports.com?  I think it's fairly
transparent, showing idle v.s. download v.s. upload.  The headline
figures are an average, and you can look at all the data points.  (You
can increase the measurement frequency if you're specifically interested
in that).

[random selection from Google]
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/419540
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=15620.0

It's more aggressive than a single file download, but that's not
deliberately to exacerbate bufferbloat.  It's just designed to measure
performance of prolonged downloads / streaming, in a competitively short
test.  "For our busy lives", as the overused saying goes.

(The initial summary only gives a grade.  The figure wouldn't be one of
the headlines their ISP advertises.  Saying "100ms" would confuse
people.  And the tests they're used to / compare with, show idle latency
instead.)