[Bloat] Bufferbloat test measurements

Alan Jenkins alan.christopher.jenkins at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 15:39:39 EDT 2016

On 27/08/16 20:18, Alan Jenkins wrote:
> On 27/08/16 18:37, Kathleen Nichols wrote:

> So, I ran the test while I was also streaming a
>> Netflix video. Under the column "RTT/jitter Avg" the test lists
>> values that
>> range from 654 to 702 with +/- 5.2 to 20.8 ms (for the four servers). I
>> couldn't
>> figure out what that means.
>
> My assumption is the RTT is just read out from the TCP socket, i.e.
> it's one of the kernel statistics.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16231600/fetching-the-tcp-rtt-in-linux/16232250#16232250
>

> Looking in `ss.c` as suggested, the second figure shown by `ss` is
> `rttvar`.  And that's the kernel's measure of RTT variation.  If my
> assumption is right, that would tell us where the "jitter" figure
> comes from as well.

Sadly I don't think anyone's volunteered to restore the GMane web
interface yet.  NNTP is still searchable though.

I'm not sure whether the author is saying they _are_ showing kernel
stats, or whether they ended up having to do their own RTT calculation.
(This is the Justin who runs dslreports.com).